Simon Sinek famously says; “You don’t hire for skills, you hire for attitude. You can always teach skills.”
But what does this actually mean, and how can you possibly hire based on attitude alone? Well the answer is simple, at HR Gurus we passionately believe that recruiting based on a person’s values and their alignment to your Companies values ensure you find people who have the right attitude for your business.
Have you ever hired someone who has all the right skills and experience but just doesn’t “feel right”? This is very common and typically happens because the person does not have the same values as you and your business and this creates a mismatch.
So how can you ensure you find people who are the right cultural fit?
Firstly, you need to ensure that you have your company values clearly defined and you know exactly what they mean and don’t mean. Getting clear about this and then ensuring your values are embedded into all your HR processes will give you greater unity of purpose and clarity around your unique culture. From here you need ensure you use your values every day when giving feedback, rewarding people, terminating people, recruiting new people and once this starts occurring you will be amazed with the results you can achieve. Harnessing the hearts and minds of like-minded people towards the achievement of a common goal creates competitive advantage.
At HR Gurus we help clients create a robust Recruitment Process with multiple steps to ensure you find the right people rather than the most convenient or available person.
We help clients create a tailored process based on their own personal Employer Brand and we encourage them to Hire SLOWLY, and Fire FAST!
An example of a really great Values Based Recruitment process would be:
- Advertisement including your Company Values to ensure you attract like-minded individuals
- Asking candidates to submit a One-Pager explaining why they want to work for you and why they align with your values
- Initial Technical Based Phone Screen to assess skill match
- Face to Face Values interview using behavioural based questions
- Case Study or Technical Test to assess practical skills
- Numeracy & Literacy Assessment based on level of role
- DiSC Profile to assess behavioural preferences
- Final decision based on an assessment of all of the above
This may seem long winded but making poor hiring decisions is a costly mistake, and small businesses cannot afford to waste time and money by hiring the wrong people.
If you need assistance with putting together a robust recruitment process for your business please get in touch and we can help you today.
Written by Head Guru Emily Jaksch